THE pepper EXPRESS: DIY Nautical Diaper Cake

the pepper express

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

DIY Nautical Diaper Cake

This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #HuggiesNewYear #CollectiveBias
My sister is having a boy! Within the next couple of months I will be an auntie and I will have an adorable little nephew to spoil. Since my sister Raquel lives in Montana, she will be flying to California to have a baby shower here with all our California relatives. And I will be hosting! We decided on a Nautical theme for the baby shower. Now, I have thrown baby showers before and if you don't keep a budget, things can get out of hand. When I knew I was going to make a diaper cake for the center piece, I was afraid of the cost of the diapers. I checked out our neighborhood Family Dollar Store and found Huggies Diapers on sale! I grabbed size two diapers because being a new momma I understand how fast those newborns grow out of size one and two! 
While I was at the Family Dollar Store I grabbed some other necessities that I needed to make the Diaper Cake. 
Here are some of the required products you need to make a Diaper Cake:
50 Diapers rolled up with rubber bands
Large and Small Rubber bands
Circular base (I used an actual pan)
2 1/2 in ribbon at 5 ft
3-4 wooden decals (I chose sailboats and anchors)
Crinkle paper
4 chopsticks
Glue gun with 2 sticks of glue
Scissors
Step one: Roll all of your diapers with the small rubber bands and set them aside.
Step two: Take four rolled diapers and gather them together and secure them with a large rubber band. Then glue them to the bottom of your circular base. Add two more layers surrounding your four diapers and fasten another large rubber band around them:
Step three: Repeat step two for each tier, eliminating a layer of diapers. This will allow you to have a three tiered cake.
Step four: Measure your ribbon for each tier. Cut the ribbon for each tier and using the glue gun secure the ribbon the back. Add a few chopsticks or dowels in the middle of your cake to give it a good structure. Then I used the crinkle paper as a garnish:
Step five: Glue each decal on the tier of your choice:
This cake is not completely finished because we are waiting for the name of my little nephew. I would like to print out a sign and glue it to the top of the tier right under the sail boat:
What will you buy at the Family Dollar Store?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...