THE pepper EXPRESS: What's in a Name?

the pepper express

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

What's in a Name?

"that which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet" -Shakespeare

I had the name “Nora” officially picked out. That was my husbands great grandmother's name and it was beautiful. However a few family members did not like the name. They thought the name was too old fashion. And our boy name was Asher Grey.
 It was 24 hours after giving birth and the nurse was still pushing the birth certificate on us, we knew we had to decide. I had the name Solin on the back burner because I didn't want to steal my cousin’s baby name. I asked for her permission and the response: her daughters name is actually Solenne and pronounced (sol-een) and we would be pronouncing our baby girl's (so-lynn). SO actually my husband invented our daughters name evolving from my cousin’s beautiful name. But generally the name was so beautiful and sounded so elegant. My sister in law gave the recommendation of Solin Grey and it was set in stone.


I was an emotional wreck at our first doctors appointment three days after Solin was born. The nurse called “Sal-in, Sal-in?” Maybe it was the postpartum emotions, but I cried. Why did we name her that, why did we spell her name like that, no one is ever going to say it right… My husband had to comfort me for a while. And of course the name has grown on me. Whenever I introduce Solin everyone says it is a beautiful name… and where did her name come from. Long story short...
I know my baby girl is the one and only and that makes me one happy mommy!





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...